Young Men's class
Exhorting to Be Sober Minded
Having a desire to invest in the young men of the church and to support the ministry of fathers to these sons NLBC proposes to serve the fathers of NLBC through a ministry exhibiting the following characteristics:
- An emphasis on teaching coordinated with encouraged practice
- Focus on the young man’s duty to parental honor and obedience
- Working to gain a biblical understanding of life’s challenges specific to
o Life situation/age
o Cultural influences
o Daily circumstances
- Encouragement to maximize singleness for spiritual growth, ministry to others, personal maturity
- Understanding and practicing service of the qualities and types needed in marriage and the church.
- Encouragement to personal Bible reading and practice in teaching the Bible.
The goal is a view profoundly informed by the Bible and pervasively God-centered in all things:
- What is the character of God?
- How does the given topic show the character of God?
- How does sin distort the character of God in this area?
- How does God through the work of Christ enable our desire to know and ability to show the character of God in this area?
- How does our obedience to God more clearly show the character of God to the church and the world?
This ministry is envisioned to take the primary form of a class for young men to be attended by these young men at the discretion of their fathers. This ministry is a tool for fathers and is to be carried on and engaged in only with their input and approval. Regular communication should be made to these fathers to elicit their input either to their sons specifically or the group generally.
Fathers interested in using this teaching tool should bring their son to the facilitator not only to show their direct involvement but to exchange any input they may have for topics they would like to see addressed and wisdom they may have in addressing it. Periodic attendance by fathers is also welcomed and encouraged.
Teaching through Proverbs
Friendship and Discernment
Management of Finances: Careers, Investments, Giving
Understanding Masculinity and Femininity Biblically
Worldliness & Separation: Modesty, Dress, Dating & Marriage
An Exploration of the Nature and Benefits of Moral Purity and Clarity
The Deceitfulness of Sin
Take-home discussion questions for class input and discussions with fathers
Service projects emphasizing men’s roles in worship, leadership, service and teaching
In-class teaching exercise
In-class exercise of church interaction: loving, exhortation, confrontation, teaching